FirstClass Archive Services is a module that is fully integrated with the FirstClass Collaboration Suite and enables organizations to:
- Archive every message sent or received
- Easily and quickly search the message archive
- Restore archived mail in seconds
- Set retention periods by group
- Reduce costs for storage
Email archiving is necessary to comply with Federal and State regulations. As such, it is often purchased out of the Legal or Compliance budget, not the Educational Technology budget.
FirstClass introduced Archiving Services with version 9.0. It requires additional licensing and separate hardware.
Two Options: Do It Yourself or Outsource It To Us
You may buy FirstClass Archiving Services licenses through Kannon and manage it yourself if you have the staff, the time, and the hardware. But many of our customers in the education sector are so stretched that the implementation of yet another IT system is difficult ‚Äď especially since it is not directly related to the mission of the organization which is to educate children.
The ISTE discounts on Archiving Services licenses apply until June 18, 2010.
Why should your organization buy our Hosted Archiving Solution?
The FirstClass software that is licensed by your school or district and run on hardware you own and manage enables electronic correspondence that the school may be required to produce as evidence in a lawsuit. ‚ÄúThe inability to produce subpoenaed email content makes your school subject to substantial monetary fines. Recent court rulings demonstrate that organizations have the sole responsibility to provide historical email messages. If they cannot be produced, courts can assume the email content was damaging or relevant, negatively impacting the organization‚Äôs legal
Your data is more secure with us than it is in-house. We ensure the highest levels of physical, network, and data security including managed firewall, Time-Warner Cable‚Äôs data center security with intrusion detection, fire suppression, and 24/7/365 monitoring.
3.¬†¬†¬†Ease of retrieval
Without FirstClass Archiving Services, retrieval of old email is an arduous and expensive task. No matter the reason for retrieving email (producing evidence to support a lawsuit, finding a lost message for the Head of School, or locating an email attachment from a parent), the speed and cost is dramatically reduced.
4.¬†¬†¬†Free internal staff from responsibilities that are unrelated to the primary mission of the organization
As more demands are placed on internal IT staff and personnel budgets tighten, this compliance requirement can be assigned to an external provider where, in a more secure environment, it can be provided more effectively than in-house, and internal staff are freed to focus on other educational priorities.
5.¬†¬†¬†Avoid capital costs
Not only can you avoid the capital costs of acquiring additional hardware and associated infrastructure, but also rack space costs, server management costs and, at your option, retrieval costs if you engage us to provide librarian services.
Hosted Archiving Solution
If one more responsibility will put your Technology Department over the edge, consider outsourcing it to us:
- Hosted off site, not where your FirstClass server resides
- Utilizes a secure data center, not your premises
- Guaranteed uptime, disaster recovery, and redundancy that your organizaton cannot economically provide itself
- Managed by an experienced IT firm, not your stretched educational technology staff
- Optional retrieval by a ‚Äúdisinterested‚ÄĚ party, not your staff
How does Archiving Services work?
- Every message sent or received by every user is archived, including the complete envelope information (to, cc, and bcc), all attachments, and the internet message header, from the time archiving is turned on.
- As retention requirements vary by type of user, different retention periods may be set for each type. For example, in Massachusetts, school administrative correspondence must be retained for a minimum of 3 years.
- Search and retrieval of archived messages for litigation, compliance, or convenience can be accomplished by your staff or ours.
We do host for small businesses as well as educational institutions.
call Claudia at 207.588.5000